Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Countdown Commences

I am on a countdown calendar toward finishing my dissertation. The end is still months away, but deadlines are looming nonetheless. I have a few priorities right now: publish papers, finish the dissertation work, keep my sanity. Keeping my sanity trumps all others. What's the point of getting a graduate degree if I lose my sanity in the process? Then I'd be a mad scientist which always looks like more fun in the movies than in real life.

Here's my sanity plan:

  • Limit unnecessary time on the computer. This makes blogging difficult and has made me miss a few Facebook event invitations, but it's necessary.
  • Exercise. I have bicycling goals and running goals right now. I don't always meet those goals because sometimes I spend a day skiing or hiking instead.
  • Spend at least one day a week not working. This is actually difficult when I'm in the middle of a program or paper but also necessary. If I don't take at least one day off on the weekend, then I find myself burnt out halfway through the following week.

I have several other blog posts in my head, just waiting for some spare computer time to get written. They are mostly about winter trails in New Mexico and knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment